Sunday, October 21, 2012

Spain! Ashley!

After waiting for quite a while and being one of two passengers who's luggage was obviously not with the rest of the luggage at baggage claim an attendant let us know that our luggage was over in customs. That woulda been nice to know 20 min ago. Got my luggage, and headed out the exit and quickly spotted Ashley in the crowd! Yaheee! I went towards her and we hugged. It was great to see her! She was quickly followed by Janet and David, the kind couple that Ashley had been staying with for the last few weeks. We had our introductions and we were quickly off for the hour longish ride back to Cehegin. It was fairly late when we returned and Ashley and I settled into our room, caught up with family on Skype, and soon went to bed.


Our one full day in Cehegin was full of fun!  I slept fairly well and we woke about 9am. After Janet and David helped us get Ashley's big luggage sent home at the post office (which cost 150 euros) we spent a really great day walking the city and seeing the sights. It was crazy to me to see the tiny roads and how they maneuver cars through them as if they were mice in a maze. Almost all of the cars are very small, most of them are cars I've never seen in the States. Quite a few opt for motorcycles or scooters...that would definitely have to be my ride because I don't think I could handle the tight corners and crazy driving! We took lots of pictures of all the cool buildings and amazing doors! I loved all of the colors and textures. I just loved taking it all in!

 One of the stops we made was at a little market where we bought some bread, meat, and cheese for us to make sandwiches with for a before lunch snack and also for our road trip the next day. We also picked up a few other snacks for our trip as well as some "Cola Cao" which is like chocolate milk with caffeine in it. Ashley was pretty stoked about that! At 2 in the afternoon we joined Janet and David for lunch. (everyone eats at 2 here, followed by a ciesta!) Janet had made Ratatouille from fresh veggies from her garden which from what I could tell from their description was a few miles away from their house, which they felt was great! The Ratatouille was delishous! I really loved it with the bread she had cut as well. We followed the main course with some fruit and cheeses which was super yummy as well. They had goat cheese, and some blue cheese spread that Ashley and I had bought for our trip, a salami stick  and a few other cheeses. Sooo yummy! We decided to take a break for a while and after checking in on Facebook and sending a few messages to home, we decided to have a little nap. Having naps every afternoon is typical there, and while I quite enjoyed my 3 hour nap, I don't think that's something I could get used to. All the stores and businesses even close at that time so that the owners can go home and eat and have a nap. It has been odd to see how the cities in Spain just shut down from about 2 to 4 or 5. Those seem to be prime commercial time at home, but not here. It's time to wind down, eat, drink, and then sleep.

 Well rested and ready to go we headed out again and hit a bunch of little shops. I found a great watch for 18 euros and since I needed one for the trip anyway I thought it would make a great souvenir. We picked up a few little things and then headed over to Justine's house for a farewell dinner that Ashley had prepared the day before. Justine and her family have been such a great help and support to Ashley through this whole adventure. Janet and David are Justine's parents, and it was also Justine who arranged for Ashley to live with the first family that she was living with. I found them to be friendly and fun to be with. Another friend Ashley has made while there was Angela and she came to dinner as well. We all shared a great night with some excellent food. I had brought gifts for the family, one of them was an Angry Birds card game. We played that after dinner with Amy, Erin, and James-Justine's kids. We stayed until a little after midnight and said our goodbyes. They were excited for us to go on our fun adventure and we were too! Ashley faced a lot of challenges, and fears while living in Cehegin, but it was clear that she also had a lot of fun and growth while there as well. I am so thankful that she had such great people to become friends with and she will always remember them!

I would load pictures, because I know that's what you really want, but i'm sitting in an internet tent and I'm freezing, and my pictures are being difficult, sorry, It'll have to wait. :) Love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment