Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Rome Tuesday...The Vatican/St. Peter's Basilica

I have started typing this post about 5 times now, words are hard to come by when you are trying to describe the kind of experience we had today. I've decided to break it down to 2 posts. First will be about the Basilica, and the next will be the Sistine Chapel. I can hardly believe I am actually writing about MY experience there. This is not the kind of thing I ever imagined I would be writing about, this is the kind of thing other people get to do.

Coming up on the Vatican City was beautiful and majestic. With the tall buildings and huge columns lining the side of the square in front of the Basilica it was just awesome, literally. I've got a bit of a stiff neck from all the looking up I did today, but it was well worth it. There was quite a long line to get in today, lots of tourists out since it was raining yesterday and will be again tomorrow. The line was surprisingly fast and before we knew it we were  at the front of the line. We had expected to pay to get in, but we were happy to find out that entrance into the Basilica was free! To say that I was impressed with the Basilica would be an understatement. I just could not get over all of the details. From the massive columns with their ornate corinthian capitals to the amazing mosaic floors and everything in between it was simply awesome in the true sense of the word. The sculptures and intricate carvings that covered the ceilings were beautiful and full of symbolism and feeling. I felt unintelligent to be looking at so many important figures and not know who most of them were, but I could definitely feel of the importance of the lives they lived to be honored in such beautiful ways. I could not stop admiring the ceilings with their mosaic murals that were full of color and expression. The time that it must have taken to create them is mind blowing. And then there was the inside of the domes that I was loving from the outside! WOW! Layer upon layer of ceilings. Through archways, and up to skylights high above me my eyes had so much to feast on, and I loved all of it! Ashley and I were both happy that we were allowed to take pictures here as well. The other places we have been so far that were like this did not allow pictures. We commented on how they were not focused on making money off of this building, it's purpose was clear and was not tarnished by man's need to make a buck. We even commented on how the people that worked there had a different feel about them than in the rest of the city and other places we have been. They were kind and I felt comfortable looking them in the eye. My narrative of this building and all that it holds can not do it justice, neither can pictures, but I will stop with the words and let you see a little of what we saw...














 The sculpture below is done by Michelangelo. It is probably one of my favorite things I've seen to this point.




 Phil, This one is for you. Look like a familiar pose? ;)


 From the floor looking up into one of the domes. The murals are all done in mosaic. It just goes on and on...

No comments:

Post a Comment