Saturday, November 3, 2012

Paris! Saturday The Louvre and Notre Dame

After getting ready and spending the 45 in to walk down 50920387 stairs to the lobby we enjoyed a great free breakfast in the hotel. It's done differently here than I've had before. There was yogurt and cereal you can get yourself, but the you sit at a table and a waitress brings you a basket of pastries all for you! And then she brings you drinks..we asked for hot chocolate and she poured us a cup of warm milk and handed us a shaker that had the chocolate powder in it so we could mix our own. Anyway, for such an inexpensive hotel, it was a really nice breakfast!

With full tummies and warm attire we decided to brave the metro. It really wasn't as bad as I had imagined, and not nearly as bad as I have been told. I felt fairly safe and it was easy enough to figure out. We got off on our stop which emptied into a huge mall. We had the hardest time trying to figure out how to get out of the mall, but finally managed and headed straight for the Louvre! It was HUGE I had no idea it would be so big! The outside of the building was really amazing, like, really really amazing! And then we went in. I just can't say enough about standing inches away from art that was created hundreds, and even thousands of years ago. Looking at some little wood boxes that had been painted by some creative person that may have been a little like me in one way anyway thousands of years ago was just really cool. The art, the sculptures, the paintings, the artifacts, it was just something that can't be put into words. We walked a lot. We saw a lot of really beautiful and interesting things. The building it's self was worth going. I'll highlight just a couple of my favorites with pictures below. (yes, they allow pictures, without flash)














 
 
 



After the Louvre we walked over the river and down a ways to see Notre Dame. Ashley tells me that Notre Dame means "The Church of Our Lady" referring to Mary, the mother of Christ. That meaning even brought the experience of being there closer to my heart. Again, the outside of the building was soo detailed and full of interest. Tall spires, gargoyles, stained glass windows, gothic archways and architecture were just eye candy to me! We were again happy to find this religious building is free to the public to get in. The long line moved quickly and soon we were in and standing in awe. We walked quietly and I tried my best to capture pictures that would show how magnificent this building is. It will be celebrating it's 800'th year next year! Honestly I just can't find words to describe what it was like and pictures will have to do. There are many places as you walk around where you can light candles. Ashley and I both lit a candle. I said a prayer for our family at home, and had some specific thoughts and love sent to them. Phil always jokes about "lighting a candle for him", well this time I really did. I lit a candle for you in Notre Dame today, my love. My mind and my heart was with him, and with each one of my kids at home. I love all of you and miss you much.


 The candles we lit for our loved ones as we said a prayer for them. It really meant a lot to both of us.




After experiencing Notre Dame we walked for a bit around the area and crossed the river again to find a gozillion locks locked on the side of the bridge. I guess we found the famous love bridge. Seeing all of the locks and the love that was there, I wished I had one to put on the bridge as well. Of course just after the bridge there was a shop that was happy to sell me one for the change I had in my pocket (almost 7 euros) He even has a marker so you can write on your lock. BUT when we went to put the lock on the bridge my camera's battery died, so we got Ashley's out...and after a couple of failed pictures it died as well, sooo we are going back tomorrow with the lock and fully charged batteries and I will document my lock of eternal love being placed on the bridge. Hopefully someday Phil and I will come and find it again. ;)

All in all it's been a fantastic day! We are excited to see more tomorrow! Off to bed with me now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment