Sunday, October 28, 2012

Frienze Friday

Add to the list of things I wish I had brought with me some earplugs and a sleeping mask. Our little hostile has filled up and we now have 7 of us, most of which have different schedules all sleeping and waking at different times. That isn't really horrible, but what has been really hard for this country girl to deal with is the fact that we are in the middle of a busy city. The noise outside doesn't stop till maybe 2am and starts again around 6 when I think all of the delivery trucks are out and about. I miss the quiet in Mapleton, and nothing but the roosters in the morning. Not to worry though, I'll manage I'm sure :)

Today. Wow. I don't feel like there is a lot to say about it because I'm really just not sure what to say. What words can describe the feeling of standing directly in front of the David Statue that was actually carved by the master hands of Michelangelo. Before the David statue there were multiple statues that were not complete that were in his studio at the time of his death. They are all partial bodies formed with the raw stone all around them. The museum refers to them as The Prisoners because of the way that the bodies are still imprisoned by the stone. It was an experience I can hardly explain. Simply amazing.

Another wing of the museum was all instruments. In it are actual instruments from the 1700's and even a few that date before that. I was within inches of multiple Strativarius violins, violas, and cellos. Jessika, I thought of you. It was really amazing that after all of these years, the design overall of these instruments hasn't changed. They were beautiful and old and just really really cool. The strings were thick and obviously hand twisted from hide or hair or something. It's so mind boggling that they have all been preserved for so long!

Overall, the museum was just an experience that is hard to find the right adjectives to describe. There were many times I had to keep back tears, and I can't explain that either. I think that as a creative person I truly have an admiration and deep respect for the genius, talent and pure talent that these people that lived hundreds of years ago had. Again, there are just not words, and since no pictures are allowed, no pictures either. Just trust me on this one.

Amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment